Although people suffering from depression may feel the same symptoms, thoughts and feelings, in fact, there are several various depression forms. Only a medical specialist can estimate person’s state, establishing a proper diagnosis and prescribing a treatment plan. Each type of depression has different patterns, triggers, diagnostic criteria and curing methods. Canadian Health&Care Mall will consider them briefly for you.
Depression Types and Forms
- The main (regular) depression, affects about 25% of people at least once in their lives and interferes with working, studying, sleeping, eating and enjoying life. Many things can provoke depression, such as loss of a loved one (death, divorce, breakage of relationships), bad relationships with someone, constant moves, stress because of trying to get higher education and further lack of work in the specialty, job change, retirement, etc. Violence (physical, mental or sexual) and social isolation are also common depression causes. Antidepressants and “conversational” therapy are common to treat this form of depression. As a result, you may apply Generic Prozac (Fluoxetine) as one of the most effective means when speaking about light antidepressants. If you are eager to get more detailed information about Prozac, you are welcome to read it on Canadian Pharmacy Mall.
- Chronic depression, also known as dysthymia, is a relatively mild but chronic form of depression that has influence on a fairly large number of people. People with chronic depression are capable to function in everyday life, but it is extremely difficult for them to find pleasure in normal activities, they have a constant feeling of sadness and emptiness that can persist for years. For some people with chronic depression, “conversational” therapy is effective enough, but antidepressants can also help.
- Double (bipolar) depression is a human condition during which a person experiences both major depression and chronic depression simultaneously. As a rule, people with double depression experience at first about three years of dysthymia, to which in the future can join more expressed depression forms. In this case, doctors may speak of double depression.
- Seasonal depression, known as a seasonal affective disorder (SAD), usually occurs during cold and dark months, but sometimes they may occur in the summer as well. In people with SAD, depressive symptoms usually occur annually at about the same time. Treatment can be comprised of “conversational” therapy, antidepressants including generic Prozac from Canadian Pharmacy and light therapy. Lifestyle changes can prevent the seasonal affective disorder development.
- Other severe forms of depression are less common. They include manic-depressive psychosis (bipolar disorder), psychotic depression (depressions accompanied by hallucinations and delirium) and postpartum depression. Postpartum depression also refers to men as well as to women. According to studies conducted in the US, 1 out of 5 men suffers from postpartum stress within a year after the birth of their first child.
Regardless of your depression form, talk with your doctor to find the best plan for your treatment.
Treatment Options for Depression
Your attending physician is likely to select a combination of treatment methods for depression. It is mandatory to discuss with him the treatment options to determine those methods that will perform better in your exact case. The combination of drugs and therapy is the most common method of depression treatment.
Depression Treatment with Antidepressants
There are several different antidepressants types, and they all perform a little differently. It will take several weeks for your doctor to find the best dosage, which maximizes the benefits and minimizes the side effects. When using drugs such as Prozac, Zoloft and etc, be sure to follow the instructions. Some of them require changes in the diet, for example, to avoid the interaction with dietary supplements. Once you start feeling better, you might think that you no longer need medications. But you should never change the dosage or stop using antidepressants until your doctor tells you how to do it safely and at the same time prevent a recurrence of symptoms.
Psychotherapy or “conversational” therapy is one of the most common treating depression methods. Communicating with a qualified and skilled psychotherapist, you will learn about the behavior, events, situations and problems that contributed to the depression onset. It will help you find ways to cope with these factors and regain control in your life. There are several different types of psychotherapy: individual or group therapy. Just like you can try several types of medications before you find the most suitable for you, the same applies to psychotherapy.
Alternative Depression Therapy
Alternative methods include:
- herbal supplements such as St. John’s wort infusions;
- acupuncture, acupressure, aromatherapy;
- dietary changes or nutritional supplements;
- such exercises as walking or yoga;
- Electroshock therapy, the last instance for a severe depression form that does not respond to conventional therapy.
Alternative therapies are most effective in combination with medications and psychotherapy. The doctor can also offer you different options. Canadian Pharmacy draws your attention to the fact that although alternative methods may seem safe and “natural”, they can also provoke side effects. Therefore, before you start using alternative psychotherapy, consult your doctor.
Remember that depression is a serious disease, not a sign of weakness. Most people cannot overcome depression without medical intervention. Fortunately, there are a large number of treatment options (with fewer side effects) that are available today than ever before. Be persistent and continue to visit the doctor until you find the best form of treatment that will help you live a full and productive life.